Saturday, October 25, 2008

FLORENCE



I intended to write this a long time ago, but a variety of things have intervened. First, let it be clear to the casual reader that a trip to Italy prior to 2005 ranked in my top ten list of places that I wanted to see firmly in 77th place!
I went to Italy with all of the enthusiasm I would have mustered for a trip to the dentist for a root canal. In reality a root canal would probably gotten a slight edge.
Susan backed me into a corner and pride would not allow me to admit that my not wanting to go to Italy was keeping her from returning to a favorite place. I have to admit that after 31 years of marriage, I had really screwed up! We first travelled to Venice (see the earlier post on Venice). A few hours by train left us in the middle of what could be Italy's most beautiful city. A short cab ride took us to the Hotel Pendini on the Piazza de la Republicca. We were just blocks from the Duomo and from the Ponte Vecchio.
Not surprisingly, the food in Florence was to die for. We didn't find a meal that was less than spectacular the whole time we were there. Sadly, since I don't stand in lines if there is any way around it, we missed the two treasures of Florence - the Uffizzi Gallery and the Academia Gallery - the home to David. Reservations just weren't available for either during our short stay. Next time, perhaps, a little advance planning would be in order.
As far as customers go, Florence is similar to Venice in the number of calls available. We have for many years supplied Santa Reparata International School of Art, either directly or through individual students. While making the call there in 2005, it was suggested that a distributor in Florence could be a great thing. I, of course, agreed since it would make it easier to justify a return trip.
The logical choice was Zecchi's Art Store, a stone's throw from the Duomo. We made a late evening call on our last evening in Florence. To be generous, Zecchi's staff was somewhat less impressed with us than we were with their city. They didn't yawn, or ask us to leave, but neither did they show even the remotest sign of interest either. Well, the salesman in me wants another crack at their stern facade.
Next time is starting to look like 2010, but I'll be ready to return any time...I'm a convert.

No comments: